Video: Massive Power Surge in Louisiana
More than 10,000 people are without power in Jefferson Parish after a winter storm took down multiple power lines.
According to Jefferson Parish officials, multiple wires are down near the intersection of West Esplanade and Power Boulevard. Traffic has been shut down around the intersection while Entergy works to repair a transformer, reports WWLTV
Meanwhile, an eyewitness Chris Fitzmorris, shot a video near the outage where one can see electricity surging through the lines.
What to Do if You Lose Power:
- Close any blinds/curtains or put blankets or towels up to cover windows and provide insulation
- Close off rooms to avoid losing heat
- Stuff towels in cracks under doors, esp. exterior ones
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, warm clothing, especially warm socks and gloves if you have them
- Eat and drink food to provide energy to warm the body but avoid alcohol or caffeine
- If you have candles, lighting them can help act as a heat source, especially in an enclosed space. But do not rely on them, and remember to practice good fire safety.
- DO NOT bring a generator inside. They should remain 30 feet away from your home
- DO NOT use a stove or oven for heat, this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning