New year, new you: refreshing your personal style and expressing your individuality
The start of a new year is a great time to refresh your personal style and express your individuality. It’s a chance to try out new trends, experiment with different looks, and have some fun with fashion. Here are some tips to help you refresh your personal style in the new year:
1. Take inventory of your wardrobe:
It’s time to take inventory of your wardrobe and get organized. Trust me, it’s a fun and exciting task that will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to rock your new, updated style. Here’s how to get started:
- Go through each and every item in your wardrobe, one by one. Yes, it may take some time, but it’s worth it to have a clear idea of what you have.
- As you go through your clothes, make a list of what you have. This can be on a piece of paper, or even in a spreadsheet on your computer.
- While you’re making your list, identify the items that you love and wear often. These are the pieces that make you feel confident and stylish, and they should be given priority in your wardrobe. For example, I have a pair of black skinny jeans that I love and wear all the time. They go with everything and make me feel put together, so they are a staple in my wardrobe.
- On the other hand, make note of anything that you haven’t worn in a while or that no longer fits your style. These are the items that may need to be donated or sold. For example, I have a blazer that I used to love but haven’t worn in a few years. It’s time to say goodbye to that blazer and make room for new pieces that reflect my current style.
- Once you have your list, you can start updating your wardrobe. You’ll know exactly what you have, what you love, and what you need to get rid of. This is a great starting point for building a wardrobe that truly represents you and your personal style.
Don’t be afraid to get rid of items that no longer serve you. It may be tough to let go of certain pieces, but trust me, it will be worth it to have a wardrobe that truly reflects who you are and what you love. So go ahead, take inventory of your wardrobe and get organized! You got this, ladies.
2. Determine your style:
Here are some tips to help you find your style:
- Experiment with different looks: Don’t be afraid to try out different styles and see what works for you. Maybe you’ll discover that you love the edgy, punk rock look, or perhaps you’ll find that classic, timeless pieces are more your thing. There’s no right or wrong answer, so have fun and see what makes you feel confident and comfortable.
- Pay attention to the colors and patterns you’re drawn to: Do you tend to gravitate towards bold, vibrant hues, or do you prefer more neutral tones? Are there certain patterns or prints that you love to wear? These preferences can give you a good idea of your style preferences.
- Consider your lifestyle: What do you do on a daily basis? Are you always on the go, or do you have a more laid back, relaxed schedule? Your lifestyle can play a big role in determining your style. If you’re always running around, you might want to opt for pieces that are easy to move in and can be dressed up or down. On the other hand, if you have a more relaxed lifestyle, you might want to invest in some statement pieces that can be dressed up for special occasions.
- Be true to yourself: Above all, it’s important to stay true to who you are when it comes to your personal style. Don’t try to fit into a certain mold or follow trends just because everyone else is doing it. Wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable, and don’t be afraid to mix and match different styles to create a look that’s uniquely you.
So, take some time to experiment and figure out what fashion choices make you feel the most confident and comfortable. Whether you prefer classic, timeless pieces or love to make bold fashion statements, it’s all about finding a style that reflects who you are as a person. Don’t be afraid to try new things and have fun with it – your personal style is an expression of who you are, and there’s no wrong way to do it!
3. Experiment with new trends:
- Try out the latest fashion trends: This can be as simple as adding a trendy accessory, like a statement earring or a belt bag, to your outfit. Or, take it to the next level and try out a new silhouette or fabric, like a ruffled top or a leather jacket.
- Experiment with different makeup looks: If you usually stick to a natural makeup routine, try incorporating some bold, colorful eyeshadow or lip colors. Or, if you’re used to wearing a full face of makeup, try going for a more minimal, au naturel look.
- Play around with different hairstyles: Whether it’s trying out a new haircut, or simply styling your hair in a different way, experimenting with different hairstyles can be a fun way to switch things up and find what works best for you.
- Embrace your personal style: While it’s important to keep up with the latest trends, it’s also important to stay true to your personal style. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different trends and pieces that resonate with you and your individual aesthetic.
- Jewelry: Whether it’s a statement necklace or a simple pair of earrings, jewelry can completely transform an outfit. Experiment with different metals, stones, and styles to find the perfect pieces that reflect your personality. For example, if you love a bohemian vibe, try layering on some colorful beaded bracelets or a bold fringe necklace. On the other hand, if you’re more of a minimalist, stick to sleek and simple pieces like a delicate silver pendant or minimalist stud earrings.
- Bags: A stylish bag can elevate any outfit and add a touch of practicality. From crossbody bags to oversized totes, there’s a bag for every occasion. For example, if you’re heading to the office, a sleek leather briefcase or structured satchel can give your work attire a polished finish. On the weekends, a trendy backpack or oversized tote can add a fun and casual touch to your outfits.
- Shoes: The right pair of shoes can make or break an outfit, so it’s important to find styles that suit your personal style and needs. For example, if you love a classic look, opt for a pair of timeless pumps or ankle boots. If you’re more of a trendsetter, try out some bold, statement-making boots or sneakers. And don’t forget about comfort! Make sure to invest in a pair of comfortable, supportive shoes that you can wear all day long.
- Other accessories: Don’t stop at just jewelry and bags! There are so many other ways to accessorize and add personality to your outfits. Experiment with scarves, hats, sunglasses, and even hair accessories to find the perfect finishing touches. For example, a cozy knit scarf can add some warmth and texture to a winter outfit, while a wide-brimmed hat can protect your face from the sun and add some drama to a summer look.
5. Have fun:
- Fashion is not just about following trends or looking put-together, it’s also about having fun and expressing your personality through your style choices.
- Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and try something new. Maybe you’ve always wanted to rock a bold red lip or try a bold, printed jumpsuit. Go for it!
- Keep in mind that fashion is meant to be enjoyable, so don’t take it too seriously. If you feel self-conscious or uncomfortable in something, it’s not worth it. Wear what makes you feel good and have fun with it.
- Remember that fashion is just one aspect of your identity. Don’t feel like you have to conform to societal standards or expectations when it comes to your style. Wear what makes you happy and feels true to who you are.
- Above all, have fun with fashion and embrace it as a form of self-expression. It’s a way to show the world who you are and share a little piece of yourself with the world.
You can now write for RSP Magazine and be a part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.