Best Weekend Getaway For Relaxation: 10 Things To Do In Delhi
Delhi is a city with endless attractions for tourists, and if you’re looking for a weekend getaway that will leave you feeling refreshed and relaxed, there are plenty of options to choose from. From the scenic Old Delhi district to the buzzing commercial centres of Gurgaon and Noida, there’s something for everyone in this bustling metropolis.
Delhi is the perfect weekend getaway for anyone looking for a city with plenty to offer. From world-renowned museums to lively markets and delicious restaurants, there’s always something new to explore in this vibrant metropolis. Plus, its proximity to both the Himalayas and the Indian subcontinent means that there’s plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy, no matter what time of year you visit.
Delhi is also a great place to relax and unwind. With its balmy weather and abundant cultural attractions, it’s easy to lose yourself for a day or two. And if you’re looking for nightlife options, Delhi has more than enough options to choose from. Whether you’re looking for an intimate setting or something with more of a party atmosphere, there’s sure to be something that appeals to you.
So why not take a weekend break in Delhi today? You won’t regret it!
What to Expect in Delhi
Here are five things to expect in Delhi:
1) The incredible architecture: From the imposing structures of Old Delhi to the ornate buildings in New Delhi, Delhi has an eclectic mix of architecture that is sure to fascinate.
2) The vibrant markets: From the chaotic streets of Chandni Chowk to the more subdued lanes of Karol Bagh, there’s something for everyone at the market district.
3) The food scene: With centuries of culinary history at its disposal, Delhi has some of the best Indian food in the country. Sample traditional dishes at local restaurants or delve into some international flavors at one of the city’s many chef-owned restaurants.
4) The relaxed atmosphere: No matter what time of year you visit, Delhi will feel like a relaxing escape from the everyday hustle and bustle. Take in a show at the opera house or wander through old neighbourhoods while taking in the sights and sounds of this vibrant city.
Delhi is home to some of India’s most popular tourist destinations, such as the India Gate, Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Lotus Temple and the massive beautiful Akshardham Temple.
While these attractions are definitely worth a visit, there’s so much more to see and do in Delhi. Take advantage of its large number of small markets, where you can find an array of unique items not available anywhere else in India. For a more cultured experience, head to one of Delhi’s many ancient temples. With impressive architecture and intricate carvings, these religious sites are a must-see for any traveler to India. Finally, don’t forget to enjoy some delicious street food while in Delhi – it’s definitely one of the city’s signature flavors!
How to Spend Your Weekend in Delhi
Delhi is a buzzing city with so much to offer, whether you’re looking for an extravagant weekend getaway or something more relaxed. Here are four ideas for how to spend your weekend in Delhi:
- Start your weekend with a visit to Old Delhi. This area is home to some of the city’s most iconic colonial architecture, including the Qutb Minar and the Red Fort. Take a walk down Chandni Chowk and explore the colourful bazaars before enjoying some lunch at one of Old Delhi’s many restaurants.
- Visit Connaught Place, one of Delhi’s busiest shopping districts. This lively area is home to lots of high-end shops, restaurants, and entertainment options, making it a great place to spend an afternoon browsing and window shopping. If you need some refreshment after all that shopping, try grabbing a cup of coffee at India Coffee House.
- If you’re looking for something more active, head to Raj Ghat or Ashoka Pillar. Both spots offer breathtaking views of the cityscape and are perfect for a morning jog or afternoon picnic. Alternatively, take a ride on the famous Delhi Gondola or take a boat ride on the Yamuna River.
- If you’re interested in learning about India’s rich culture and history, visit the National Museum or the Indian Museum. Both museums offer an extensive collection of art and artifacts from across India’s varied cultural heritage.
10 Things to do in Delhi
1. Take a walk through the colourful Chandni Chowk market, home to some of Delhi’s most popular souvenir shops and street food outlets.
2. Head to the spice market in Old Delhi, where you can buy just about anything your heart desires (although beware of pickpockets!).
3. Witness a performance of classical Indian dance at Sri Aurobindo Ashram Auditorium
4. Visit the Qutb Minar, one of Delhi’s most iconic monuments and one of the oldest standing structures in India.
5. One of the most popular attractions in Delhi is the Akshardham Temple. This temple is one of the largest and most impressive temples in India. The temple features intricate carvings and beautiful architecture.
6. Head to Connaught Place for a taste of Indian culture. This bustling commercial center is home to several iconic government buildings and numerous restaurants and cafes.
7. Shop until you drop at one of the city’s many boutiques and department stores. From silk sarees to Sabyasachi jewellery, there’s something for everyone to buy.
8. Sample traditional Indian cuisine at one of the city’s many restaurants. From butter chicken to paneer vindaloo, there is something for everyone to try!
9. Visit the Gandhi Memorial Museum, located in New Delhi. This museum is dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi and contains a large collection of his personal belongings and memorabilia.
10. Check out the Lotus Temple—a world famous Buddhist temple located in southern Delhi near Safdarjung Airport.
Where to Stay in Delhi on a Weekend Getaway
Here are some of the best places to stay in Delhi on a weekend getaway:
1. The Oberoi: Located in the opulent New Delhi, this property offers luxury accommodations and breathtaking views of the Rajpath and India Gate. Buffet breakfast is included, as well as afternoon tea and evening hors d’oeuvres.
2. The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel: This hotel offers luxurious rooms and stunning views of the city. You’ll also enjoy a wide range of services, including an indoor pool and an outdoor Jacuzzi.
3. The Lalit Hotel: This hotel is located in the heart of Connaught Place, one of the most popular shopping destinations in Delhi. Rooms come with free Wi-Fi access, cable TV and a private bathroom with a shower.
4. The Park Hyatt Regency Delhi: If you’re looking for something more spacious and modern, the Park Hyatt Regency is definitely worth considering. The hotel features an indoor pool, tennis courts, and spa, making it perfect for leisurely days spent in Delhi.
Delhi is a city that never sleeps, and with so much to see and do over the weekend, it’s no wonder so many people choose to call it home. If you’re looking for inspiration on where to stay while in Delhi this weekend, be sure to check out our selection of hotels in Delhi. We have something for everyone, whether you want to stay in the heart of the city or take advantage of some quieter surroundings. Whatever your plans are, be sure to add Delhi as a stop on your itinerary this summer!