Make delicious French onion soup in your home kitchen with this simple recipe
French onion soup is made by caramelising onions in butter, deglazing them with dry white wine, and then cooking the soup with either meat stock or vegetable stock. Add garlic toast with melted cheese for the last touch.
|Serves – 4
|Prep Time – 10 Minutes
|Cooking Time – 1Hr 10 Minutes
|Ingredients – 10
Quick tip: For richest and tastiest results patiently caramelise the onions in butter until they are a beautiful golden brown. Don’t over cook.
List of Ingredients:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 chopped thyme sprig
- 100ml dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 cup flour, (plain or all purpose)
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 6 cups beef stock or chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 125g finely grated Gruyère
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes, or until the onion is caramelised.
- Cook for one minute after adding the garlic, then add the flour and cook for about 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine, scraping out any browned pieces clinging to the bottom. Add the thyme and simmer the wine by half for 2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil while stirring in the stock of your choice (beef, chicken or vegetable), and bay leaf. Simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes with the heat down to low and a lid partially covering the pot.
- Prepare 1 loaf of cheesy garlic bread or individual garlic breads while the soup is cooking.
- When ready to serve, taste the food and add additional salt and pepper as desired. Pour into bowls and add one or two pieces of cheesy bread on top.
Your delicious French Onion Soup is ready to serve. Enjoy.