Discover the Secret to Making the Perfect Shepherd’s Pie – A Classic Recipe
Craving a warm and comforting dish that’s packed with flavor and nourishment? Look no further than this classic Shepherd’s Pie recipe! With a savory filling of ground beef, vegetables, and a creamy mashed potato topping, this dish is sure to satisfy your hunger and warm you up from the inside out.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until browned and fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes. Drain any excess fat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, diced carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, corn, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the beef and vegetable mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread it evenly in the dish.
- In a large saucepan, boil the chopped potatoes in salted water until they are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan.
- Mash the potatoes with milk, butter, and egg yolk until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the beef and vegetable mixture in the baking dish, spreading it evenly to cover the mixture completely. Use a fork to make ridges on the surface of the potatoes.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the shepherd’s pie cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve hot and enjoy!
You can now write for RSP Magazine and be a part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.