Watch: Massive Sinkhole Emerges In Chilean Town, Measures Over 80 Feet

Watch: Massive Sinkhole Emerges In Chilean Town, Measures Over 80 Feet
📷 An aerial photograph from last week shows the sizable sinkhole close to the mining community of Tierra Amarilla in Chile's Atacama Desert. Images by Johan Godoy for AFP and Getty

An investigation has been launched when a sinkhole in the Copiapo province surfaced close to Tierra Amarilla town.

Aerial photos show a sinkhole near a copper mine owned by a Canadian Lundin Mining company, that is located around 665 kilometres (413 miles) north of Santiago.

Lundin Mining owns 80% of the land, and Japan‘s Sumitomo Corporation owns the other 20%.

The National Service of Geology and Mining (Sernageomin) has dispatched specialised personnel to the area, according to a statement from the agency’s chief David Montenegro.

The distance to the bottom is around 200 metres, Montenegro added(656 feet).

In a statement published on Monday afternoon, Lundin Mining said that neither its workers nor residents of the area were harmed by the sinkhole. The statement went on to say that the affected region is nearly a kilometre from any populated area or public service, and that the closest dwelling is more than 600 metres (1,969 feet) away.

One thought on “Watch: Massive Sinkhole Emerges In Chilean Town, Measures Over 80 Feet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.