Confessions: 14 Women Reveal What Intimacy Means to Them
Intimacy is one of the most fundamental aspects of forming genuine, long-lasting bonds. This one thing can be a direct representation of our feelings of getting admiration and attention. But, exactly, what is intimacy? How can we tell if we’re forming strong bonds with those around us?
We came across a fantastic Reddit thread where women have shared their ideas of intimacy and what it means to them. Continue reading to learn more.
1. When we sneak a moment to be curled up in each other and whisper our mutual admirations. It can be just a second in a hug or embrace and the words can be deep or non-existent. It’s the connection and it’s life-changing.
2. Lying side by side, not kissing, not talking, just staring into each other’s eyes and listening to his/her breathing. Gently touching each other’s arms, faces, necks, etc. And just forgetting about the outside world.
3. Letting the other person see you in your unguarded state, being vulnerable together, talking about your deepest dreams, desires or fears, being present together in the moment completely engaged in each other.
4. Being able to tell my partner about all the weird thoughts that pop into my head, without embarrassment, is a great thing. We’ve had some amazing conversations sparked by one of us saying something that another person might think is crazy. Real life example: “I feel so sad for trees that have initials carved into them that I have to go up and touch them and tell them I’m sorry someone hurt them.
5. Having an unspoken language with another person. Being able to make eye contact for a brief second to just connect when with others. Defining your love in a way that is unique and works for you two, specifically. Being your true self with that other person and needing them as much as you do while also being there for them as much as they need.
6. Openness without being mocked. Being heard without needing to be logical.
7. Sharing music playlists LMAO.
8. TV and dinner together, when your partner loves you nerding out over something, belly rubs when you’re cramping, playing a video game together (preferably one where you’re on the same team), cooking together. Things like that are intimacy and emotional intimacy.
9. I have a picture of my boyfriend and me with our arms around each other, foreheads touching. It was just an ordinary moment my sister happened to capture during Christmas last year, but I so treasure it. I don’t remember exactly what he was telling me, but it’s very clear we are in love, and in our own little world. It’s that feeling of being safe in each other’s embrace, knowing that what is said stays only between you two. And feeling that even the slightest, gentlest touch can set your heart racing.
10. Closeness, vulnerability, openness.
11. Softly touching anywhere on my body in a non-sexual way, such as my face or legs. Also just sitting in silence with no pressure to speak, or just doing our own thing, side by side. That’s the best way to hang out IMO because I’m very introverted.
12. Being honest and vulnerable. Allowing another person to see the sides of you that you don’t always put out into the world, even the ‘bad’ sides. Being able to express oneself freely without fear of judgement.
13. Feeling safe (with said person), mentally and physically.
14. To me, it’s the idea of looking at someone across the room and knowing exactly what they’re thinking, or how they’re feeling. Just connecting with someone on a level where you understand them as much as possible, doesn’t have to be romantic. One of my friends gets me in a way no-one else does, and I think he feels the same about me. We could have entire conversations with just slight facial expressions and know exactly what the other person means.
Let us know if you liked these confessions and if they helped you in the comments below.